Admission & registration
Do you want to apply for this study programme? Make sure that you first carefully read through the programme’s Admission requirements-page to see if you (can) meet the requirements (see the dark-blue menu on the left-hand side of this page).
Ready to apply? The application and enrolment process consists of three phases. More information on each of these phases is provided below. You will be referred to the Admission requirements-page, and other relevant information, where appropriate. Carefully read through the information provided and make sure to complete all tasks as soon as possible (and definitely before the indicated deadlines).
You can find an overview of important deadlines on the Admission requirements-page of this programme.
Phase 1: Studielink application
Let us know you want to apply for this study programme
To start the application process for this study programme, you first need to apply via Studielink. Studielink is the Dutch central organisation that keeps track of applications and enrolments at institutions of higher education in the Netherlands. In Studielink, you can apply by indicating which study programme at Maastricht University (UM) you would like to apply for, whether you’d like to start the programme in September or February (if the latter is an option), what previous education you followed, and you might need to provide a number of other details.
Studielink offers two methods of signing in: with or without using DigiD:
- If you live in a Dutch municipality, you can only register using your DigiD. If you live in a Dutch municipality, but do not yet have a DigiD yet, you will need to request one (Apply for a DigiD).
- If you do not (yet) live in the Netherlands, you can register by creating a Studielink account (without DigiD). As your personal details will not have been verified through DigiD, UM will check your personal details.
- You have to select your ‘starting moment’ in Studielink. Please make sure to select the right month and year in the dropdown-menu, so that you are applying for a start of the study programme in next academic year.
- You can find an overview of important deadlines (including the deadline for completing your application process) on the Admission requirements page.
- You will receive an email from UM within 24 hours of having applied in Studielink. This email contains your username/UM student number and a link to create your personal password. You can use these login details to access the MyApplication portal, the online environment in which the rest of your application process will take place. The portal will provide you with a clear overview of all the tasks you need to complete, such as uploading documents and paying your tuition fees.
Phase 2: Admission
Allow UM to assess if you meet the admission requirements
Phase 3: Enrolment
Arrange the practical matters required to start your studies at UM
Once you have been offered a place in the study programme of your choice, you need to arrange your enrolment. The tasks you need to complete to be enrolled are listed in the MyApplication portal under ‘Enrolment tasks’. You can find a brief overview below.
Pay your tuition fees
Every applicant will need to pay their tuition fees. More information on how to go about arranging your tuition fee payment is provided in the task description in the MyApplication portal.
Once you’ve received an invite to pay your tuition fees, it is important that you indicate how you wish to arrange your payment (in Studielink). Do so on time (in any case before the start of your studies). Please also make sure that you pay (the first instalment of) your tuition fees in a timely manner. Otherwise, you won’t be able to start your studies.
- Read more about tuition fee rates
- Read more about when to pay your tuition fees
- Read more about how to pay your tuition fees
Allow UM to verify your diploma
Did you acquire the diploma on the basis of which you have been offered a place in your study programme in the Netherlands? Then DUO will pass on their verification of your diploma to UM. No further action on your part is required.
Did you acquire the diploma on the basis of which you have been offered a place in your study programme outside of the Netherlands? Then you will need to send a certified copy of that diploma.
Have you completed your prior education outside of the Netherlands and will you not receive your diploma before the start of your study programme? Then you can send a certified graduation statement.
More information on the requirements for a certified copy of a diploma and for a certified graduation statement, as well as the address these documents should be posted to, is provided in the task description in the MyApplication portal.
Make sure all application and enrolment tasks are fulfilled
UM can only enrol you if you have completed all the tasks in the MyApplication portal. Please make sure this is the case, so that your application and enrolment can be completed and you’ll be ready to start preparing for your studies as soon as possible.
Confirmation of Enrolment
When you have been enrolled for your study programme at UM, you will receive confirmation of this from UM (in the message inbox in the MyApplication portal) and from Studielink (by email).
UM email account
Before you start your studies, you will receive the login details for your UM email account. Your UM email address will be used for all correspondence about your introduction programme and the start of your studies. Your private email address will only be used to inform you about the application and enrolment process.
Questions about admission and registration?
Then contact the faculty of this master's programme via the 'Contact & meet us' button on the left.
The information on this page is for students who would like to start in September 2023 (academic year 2023-2024).
The specialisations of the research master's programme are listed separately in Studielink.
This means that you must already have decided on a specialisation when you apply.