Plant Biology and Agriculture
Full course description
During this course you will gain insight in the importance of plants for life on earth and their unique adaptations to their environment. The course will illustrate major aspects of plant evolution, morphology and function. Special attention will be paid to domestication and to the methods by which plants have been adapted for agriculture to function as a major resource for food and beyond. The latter will include an outlook on plant biotechnology and emerging technologies.
- To give insight into the plant kingdom and its significance for mankind, through agriculture and the exploration of natural resources.
- To provide students with a solid understanding of plant evolution, development and function in relation to their environment.
- To acquaint students with crop improvement challenges and methods in the context of sustainable food supply.
VSC1101 Introduction to Biology
- Original research articles.
- To be complemented by:
- Botany: An introduction to Plant Biology, Seventh Edition James D. Mauseth - ISBN: 9781284157352.