Introduction to Chemistry
Full course description
From the battery of our phones, the food we eat, to our very thought processes, every aspect of our lives relies on chemistry. This course introduces some key concepts in organic- and bio-chemistry like. We will discuss topics such as the nature of atoms, their electronic structure its chemical consequences; the most important atomic bonds; important chemical reactions and processes and the chemical and physical conditions in which these reactions occur. This course provides a, hopefully, proper introduction for those who want to study chemistry but will also help students gain a deeper understanding of biological processes.
- To have an understanding of the nature of atoms, their electronic structure and its chemical consequences, and their organization in the periodic table of the elements.
- To have the ability to recognize various classes of chemical compounds and to understand their basic physical and chemical properties.
- To obtain an understanding of the basic physical chemistry of fundamental importance to most natural and chemical processes.
- To be familiar with the essentials chemicals mechanisms of reaction, using a few relevant examples.
- To have sufficient background for further, more advanced, courses in chemistry, biochemistry and the life sciences.
Paula Yurkanis Bruice, Organic Chemistry. 8th Edition. 2017. Pearson.
- J.C. Hanekamp