Brand Management And How To Communicate About Brands
Full course description
This course covers foundations of brand management and marketing communications (including advertising). The course will take a strong consumer-based focus, therefore the foundation of branding and advertising in consumer behavior and consumer psychology theories will be discussed. We will discuss theory that is at the foundation of branding and advertising and then apply it through team assignments on students’ chosen brands.
The course consists of two parts:
- In the first part we will deal with brand management: In the brand management part the nature of brands in consumers’ minds, the concept of brand equity and instruments to build and leverage brands will be discussed.
- In the second part we will focus on integrated marketing communications. In the integrated marketing communications part we will have a look at the concept of Integrated Marketing Communications, the communication process and theories of consumer behavior and response.
- To give students an introduction to the communication of brands to consumers. On the one hand a strong theoretical foundation will be built by studying the textbook chapters and journal articles (E-reader). On the other hand, we will continuously translate this theory to practice, by means of short articles from the business press (E-reader), brief student presentations, and one larger group project.
- Next to being instructive and interesting, this course can also be a lot of fun. We are confronted with brands and advertising every single day, and it is challenging to explore the processes by which this is done.
- To have an in depth understanding of the theories concerning branding, marketing communication and consumer behavior, and of the implications of these theories for marketing management. Skills that will be developed/ enhanced during this course are: presentation skills, teamwork skills, writing skills, analytical skills, reflection skills and creativity skills.
SSC1027 Principles of Economics
- To be announced